Directions To Bates (North Rincon) Beach
Carpinteria, Santa Barbara County
- Take the Ventura (101) Freeway to 10 miles south (east) of Santa Barbara.
- Exit at Bates Road and follow the signs south toward the ocean.
- There are three forks in the road here: The one to the left takes you to the clothed beach on the Ventura side known as South Rincon Beach. The one in the middle leads to a gated community of homes for residents only. The one on the right takes you up a ramp to a parking lot on the Santa Barbara side, and this is Bates (North Rincon) Beach.
- Take the ramp down to the beach and walk west about 1000 yards to near the concrete seawall. This is the beginning of the traditionally-nude section of the beach.
Bare as you Dare
It is illegal to be nude at any beach in Santa Barbara county.
Remove your bathing suit at your own risk. The farther west you go on the beach, the less chance you will have of conflict with others using the beach.
Local law enforcement will respond to complaints of lewd conduct on the beach so be sure that you are not intending to be shocking or erotic.
On activity days, Friends of Bates Beach will place a sign informing others that the beach is considered clothing-optional beyond that point. Please be well beyoud that sign, preferably past the start of the concrete seawall.
- Santa Barbara County (just north of the Ventura county line)
- Rest rooms, showers, picnic area near the parking lot
- Bates has a spectacular ocean view, and a seal sanctuary just to the north.
- Rincon Point is a mecca for surfers during the summer.